Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Chicks have arrived!

Well the babies are here!! Everyone survived the trip beautifully upon arrival. I never imagined how hard it would be to figure out what breeds they are,but it is! I ordered the assortment of 25 egg layers and 1 Free Exotic Chicken, I ended up only receiving a total of 25, including the exotic chicken. That's ok though, 25 birds is plenty to keep us busy and will produce lots of eggs in our near future.  The one chicken I am certain I know what it is, is the exotic chicken.  It is a Silver Sebright, so dainty compared to the rest of them, and very skittish.  I think it's so skittish because it is so much smaller than the rest and is just trying to stay out of everyone's way! :)  I also THINK I have 4 Silver Laced Wyandottes, and possibly 3 Light Brahma's (they have adorable feathers on the outside of their feet.....so cute), and maybe 2 Dark Cornish, and 3 White Giants, as for the rest.....I am completely clueless!! A really nice variety.  

I do have one little chicken that is kinda acting strange, every once in a while, it sits completely still and almost looks like it is panting, or like it's chewing something......weird.  First I thought maybe they were too warm, so we moved the light up and that seemed to remedy the problem. But, today again, it started doing that all over again, so I will keep an eye on it and see what happens.  

I am just loving these little girls, it's so fun to watch their little feathers sprouting, they seriously change right before your eyes.  Off to check on the girls!

Here is one of the feather footed ones!


No comments:

Post a Comment